Re: ftest fails in make test (netcdf)

Hi George,

> I am trying to compile the netcdf package so that I can use
> the GMT software.  I am unable to get the 'test' to
> complete successfully.
> My setup:
>
> Machine: NeXT Cube (68040)
> OS: NeXT v3.1
> netcdf version: 2.3.2
>
> Every thing works fine for 'configure' and 'make all', but
> 'make test' gives me the ouput log listed below my
> signature line.  My CUSTOMIZE file contains the following
> definitions:
>

> - ------ begin my CUSTOMIZE file ------
> FFLAGS="-O -N9"
> OS="next"
> MACHINE="next"
> - ------- end my CUSTOMIZE file -------
> The -N9 flag for fortran is to append an underscore to
> external names.  There is definitely something wrong with
> the fortran side of things. Thanks for any help...

I don't know of anyone who has ever successfully gotten the netCDF Fortran
interface built for a NeXT using the Absoft Fortran compiler.  Craig
Mattocks (address@hidden) got it built under NeXTSTEP 3.0
using the f2c version of f77.  We don't have access to a NeXT platform with
a Fortran compiler, so we haven't been able to test that combination.

You might try posting a query to the address@hidden mailing
list, or searching through past archives of netCDF support mail using one of
the search links and a WWW browser like Mosaic on the URL

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

If you want to debug the problem, you probably should start by making sure
the M4 macros defined in netcdf/fortran/next.m4 are reasonable; they may be
just guesses based on reading the documentation, since we didn't have a
Fortran compiler to test with.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000