Re: Query on NetCDF

Hi,

Yes, all such questions should be sent to address@hidden.

> I came across a maximum of 32 when trying to define dimensions.
> I would like to find out if there are ways around it.
> ( I am investigating NetCDF to use as format of archive files
>   of a numerical model.  )

The limit of 32 dimensions per netCDF file is arbitrary, and was specified
to make application programs that read general netCDF files easier to write,
since it is difficult for many Fortran and C programmers to deal with
variables that might have an arbitrary number of dimensions.

You can change the limit in the source code to something larger, and just
recompile all the netCDF library, programs, and tests.  You should see no
problems from this change, except that if you produce netCDF files with more
than 32 dimensions, you may find that some other people's programs that
assumed the lower limit won't work on your files.  For example, ncdump on
someone else's system may not work on your files without recompiling it with
a higher limit.

To define a larger limit, just change the definition of the constant
MAX_NC_DIMS in netcdf/libsrc/netcdf.h and re-build everything.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000