Re: netcdf 2.3.2 RS/6000 question

Hi Dick,

> I have built the netCDF 2.3.2 product on an IBM RS/6000 980
> under AIX 3.2.5.
>
> "make all" reports no anomaly.  "make test" bombs with an
> assertion failure.  I am appending the test ouput for your
> evaluation.  Let me know if you need other supportive
> information.

We have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of AIX
3.2.  The default for our configure script is to specify optimization by
using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the netCDF library to be built
incorrectly under AIX 3.2, with the symptom that "make test" will fail even
though there are no compile or link errors when building from source.  A
workaround is to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or "-g")
explicitly, by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or "-g" before
invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods suggested in the
INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for compilation.  The
specific file that is incorrectly compiled with "-O" is libsrc/string.c, so
another workaround is to just compile that file without "-O" and then
rebuild.  This problem will be fixed in the next release.

This question has come up before, so I put it in the netCDF FAQ as question
number 12:

        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#aix

Please let me know if recompiling libsrc/string.c without the "-O" flag
doesn't fix the problem.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000