Re: netCDF conventions

Hi Susan,

> At the AMS meeting, I recall hearing about a discussion group or mail
> list to deal with establishing conventions for netCDF formats.  This
> may have been something you told me about (after my talk or perhaps
> on Friday?), but I confess my memory of January is fading fast. ;-)
> At any rate, I was wondering if you could possibly point me in
> the right direction to find out more about any work that's being done
> on data exchange conventions in the netCDF world.  I'm on the netcdf
> email list already, but was under the impression there was more going
> on "out there" somewhere. :)

can send a request to join the mailing list to
"address@hidden".  I've appended the original message
announcing the group, in case you're interested in why it came into being.
The group was fairly active last year, meeting at least two hours per month,
but meetings and email have been rare this year.  I think this is due to
NUWG getting too busy.  I have an archive of old nuwg email messages, if
you're interested.

> Here at the Climate Diagnostics Center, we will soon be releasing the
> netCDF version of our preliminary analysis software for climatic data
> sets (CRDtools is the name of the package).  We'll also be providing
> all our archived data sets in netCDF via anonymous ftp.
>
> I'm looking forward to becoming more aware of the netCDF community and
> the new directions scientific data management is taking.  Any info you
> can give me would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!!

Great.  If you're at all interested in other efforts at establishing netCDF
conventions, there are some in

        ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/Conventions/

If you decide you want to publish your conventions for use in the global
"Conventions" attribute, let me know and I'll tell you how to add a
directory and documents to our ftp server.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000