Re: Splus interface to hdf or netcdf

Hi Andrea,

> Has anyone developed an interface between Splus and hdf or netcdf?
> If anyone is currently working on an interface, perhaps we could
> collaborate.

I got an evaluation copy of Splus and looked into the feasibility of
building a netCDF interface.  I also evaluated the possibility of using
netCDF for the external representation of Splus datasets.

I liked the powerful expression language, the fully worked out semantics for
"NA" missing values, and C and Fortran interfaces, and much else about
Splus.

I decided netcdf was not powerful enough to represent some kinds of Splus
recursive data structures, e.g. lists of lists or nested lists with named
elements.  This meant it would be impractical to try to export arbitrary
Splus data structures into netCDF files.

However, an interface that allowed the import of netCDF data into Splus
seemed quite practical.  That's about as far as I got during the evaluation.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000