netCDF citation

Hi Art,

> I wish to reference NetCDF. I have the users guide by Rew. Davis and
> Emmerson.  Should I use that? If so, does it have a report number?
> Alternatively, do you suggest a different reference?

The netCDF User's Guide has no report number.  It's OK to reference, but it
might be more helpful to also provide a reference in the open literature
that someone is likely to find in a library.  Here's a reference to the
User's Guide:

       Rew, R. K., G. P. Davis, and S. Emmerson, NetCDF User's Guide, An
       Interface for Data Access, Version 2.3, April 1993.

Here's two references from refereed journals:

       Rew, R. K. and G. P. Davis, "NetCDF: An Interface for Scientific
       Data Access," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 10,
       No. 4, pp. 76-82, July 1990.

       Brown, S. A, M. Folk, G. Goucher, and R. Rew, "Software for
       Portable Scientific Data Management," Computers in Physics,
       American Institute of Physics, Vol. 7, No. 3, May/June 1993, pp.
       304-308.

You might also want to provide a reference for World Wide Web browsers,
since that seems to be the wave of the future for providing information:

       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html

The hypertext version of the netCDF FAQ that's available by pointing a web
client like mosaic or lynx at the above URL contains more references and
will always contain up-to-date information about versions, platforms, and
availability.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000