Re: netcdf under apple A/UX

Hi Bjorn,

Sorry it's taken so long to answer this.  I just noticed it had never been
answered ...

> I am trying to install NetCDF on a Mac IIfx under A/UX 3.0.1 (Apple Unix).
> However, the test of XDR fails with the following message:
>
> cmp test.xdr test_xdr.sav
> test.xdr test_xdr.sav differ: char 3478, line 1
> *** XDR fails binary test ***
>
> The RPC-part of A/UX is licensed from Sun to Apple, which makes it
> surprising that it does not work. Perhaps Apple paid too little...
>
> Do you know if someone has installed NetCdf on A/UX?

No, sorry, we're not aware of a netCDF port to A/UX.  We don't have an A/UX
system here where we can duplicate the problem.  If the difference were just
a small floating point difference, it might be OK anyway.

> How do I force the installation programs to use the XDR-routines supplied
> with NetCDF?

If you're using the "configure" system in netcdf 2.3.2, you will have to
modify the netcdf/xdr/Makefile created by configure to redefine the LIBOBJS
macro to include all of the .o object files corresponding to .c files in the
netcdf/xdr/ directory.

I'm forwarding this to Steve Emmerson to look at why the configure script
generated Makefiles to use the vendor-supplied XDR library when the xdrtest
failed.  That sounds like a problem with the configure script.  He may hacve
more questions for you, or may ask you to email the output of running some
tests under A/UX, since we can't do that here.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000