[McIDAS #CXH-788694]: Password for download McIDAS software no working

Hi,

re:
> Just checking I have no missed any mail
> Is there any progress?

Well, yes and no.

I had a Meet with the primary developer of the ADDE WARC server code
yesterday for _several_ hours, and we found a number of things that were
needed to improve the serving of the HimawariCAST images from JMA, and I
stared implementing them immediately after the Meet. That's the good
news.

The bad news is the changes made to the HRIT images that you noted are
being distributed in EUMETCAST do not conform to the HRIT documentation
from JMA, so proceeding is more of a "feel your way" exercise than one
guided by "official" documentation.  This is the reason that I asked
you in a previous email if you knew of documentation for the EUMETCAST-
delivered Himawari HRIT images.

The biggest thing that I did not see in the JMA HRIT documentation was
any sort of a value in any of the image headers (there can be
several) that would allow for easy identification of an image being
in the JMA documented format versus what you have indicated are being
distributed in EUMETCAST.

So, the first question to you is:

Do you know where the documentation for the EUMETAST Himawari HRIT
format can be found?  If yes, can you send me the URL for the
document?

The second thing is a request for more example images (bands) that
were distributed in EUMETCAST.  You provided band 7 and 8 images, and
those have been useful, but it is very important to get a band 3 (VIS)
image, and it would be most useful to get images for all of the bands
and coverages that are being distributed in EUMETCAST.  I did try to
find a repository for the images that I need/want, but none of my
searching revealed a site where such images could be downloaded freely.

Aside:

For my testing, I downloaded example Himawari HRIT images for all bands
from JMA, and the existing McIDAS WARC ADDE code serves all of those
images correctly *except the high resolution band 7 image* which was
never supported by UWisc/SSEC.  I am working on adding support to the WARC
server for the high resolution band 7 imagery right now.

So where things stand now are that I will not be able to make fast progress
on adding support for the Himawari HRIT images that are being distributed
in EUMETCAST until I have a) more images to use for testing and b) until
I can get documentation that is specific to the EUMETCAST-distributed
images.  I can make progress without the documentation, but it will be
much slower than if I had the documentation.

Ticket ID: CXH-788694
Department: Support McIDAS