[McIDAS #HMV-801244]: ASCII file display in McIDAS-X

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I am sorry for not clearly conveying the problem I face. Here I am going to
> explain it more precisely, hopefully, it will help you understand what I am
> looking for.
>
> We have HDF5 files that are of the *FY4 satellite*. Whereas currently there
> is no imagery in AREA format available on ADDE dataset. Am I right?

You are correct.

re:
> So I am trying to convert HDF5 of the *FY4 satellite* into AREA format (*The
> only format I successfully go through McIDAS-X and analyze by ADT*) so that
> it can be used by McIDAS-X. That's the main goal.

OK, that's what I understood from our exchange yesterday.

re:
> In order to get this goal, I also looked for *FY4* AREA files on ADDE
> datasets but didn't find it. Then looks to find a way to directly process
> the HDF5 files by ADT to analyze it.
> But not succeded yet.

Yes, I understand all of this.

re:
> Any alternative to convert *HDF5 *to *ASCII *files, *DAT *files or *any
> other* format so that it can be loaded to McIDAS-X and analyze by ADT or
> directly analyze by ADT.

I understand this also.

re:
> Hope it will be clear now.

The part you describe above was already clear to me.

What keeps throwing me is your continued reference to FY-2G imagery
when talking about the exchange(s) you have had/are having with Leaon
Majewski of the ABoM.  If another of your objectives is to be able to
use FY-2G imagery in McIDAS-X, you already have a source for that imagery
in a format that you can readily use in McIDAS-X, so there shouldn't
be a need to get anything from L. Majewski/ABoM.  I am concerned
that you are asking him for FY-2G imagery when you really are wanting FY-4
imagery.

Or, is the the case that you are hoping to get some software
that the ABoM uses for converting FY-2G imagery into AREA format and seeing
if it will work in your effort to convert FY-4 imagery to AREA?  If this is
what you are hoping for, I would say that you probably will not get what you
are hoping for.

In looking around for a source of FY-2/4 imagery that you could use, I became
more educated by the type of satellites FY-2x are -- they are like the
previous generation of U.S. GOES GVAR satellites at least as far as the
instrumentation package goes -- and what is available in the FY-4x series --
their description sounds similar the new U.S. GOES-R satellite series.  If
it is the case that the HDF files you can get for FY-4 are HDF5, there
is a ** slight chance ** that their internal structure is similar to the
internal structure of the imagery from the U.S. GOES-R satellite series.
If this is the case, then your job of converting the HDF imagery you
can get for FY-4 might one of first converting the HDF5 to netCDF-4
and then seeing if the McIDAS-X ADDE server for GOES-R imagery could be
used directly on the images, or easily tweaked into a new server for
the FY-4 imagery.

Ticket ID: HMV-801244
Department: Support McIDAS