20001130: IMGREMAP: MAG= vs RES= (cont.)

>From: Jason Allard <address@hidden>

Jason,

re: grouping of data values into display levels by the number of image
colors allocated at _McIDAS_ startup

>This makes sense... where do you say that I type '-imageColors 64' or
>'-imageColors 128' again... I tried it at the mcidas command line, but
>it said '-imageColors not found'.

You do this when you _start_ McIDAS:

mcidas -imageColors 128

re: stretch images using SU

>For now I will... I want to run the command several times, changing the
>thresholds until I can get a new image of detected cumulus that
>represents the cumulus that I can see in the visible image.  Later, I
>will have higher values, which correspond to the number of times the
>test was run and how many times it detected cumulus.

OK.

re: finding out the distribution of data values in the image

>Okay, I'm not following this quite yet.  I did the EB 0 1 0 255
>command...  I then tried the SU command... I did SU INI ALLARD and then
>SU MAKE ALLARD 0 1 0 255...  I then did the
>
>EU MAKE 0 127 BLACK
>EU MAKE 128 255 WHITE
>but it was still all black. I'm quite sure than I'm missing something here.

The SU table that you made is exactly equivalent to the EB command that you
did before.  Also, did you load the image specifying use of the stretch?

IMGDISP BLAH/WOOF.pos SU=ALLARD

>About the ASTAT command... that one isn't in the book of command
>descriptions that I have.

It is in the online McIDAS User's Guide, and it has online help:

HELP ASTAT

re: the purpose for which NACOMP was originally developed

>I agree... but I just have to try to make sure that the command can
>indeed detect cumulus... and from the testing I've done so far, I think
>that it's working...  although until I fine tune the thresholds, I'm
>not sure how well it's working.

OK.

>Thanks for the help,

No problem.