19991115: Client Routing Table

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Hi Jennie-

>I cc'd you on a message I sent to Tony (who is getting
>back from atrip tonight or tomorrow).  I wanted to give
>him a heads up on the switchover.

I saw that.

>I also noted that I had a problem with accessing grids
>from my account.  After I sent the message, I found that another
>thing which was in /home/mcidas/mcidas74/data but not in the new
>/home/mcidas/data (with the new links) was ADDESITE.TXT
>I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I copied it
>to /home/mcidas/data, thinking this might be the problem
>(this is the location of where my McTABLEREAD parameter is
>looking, after it looks in my own mcidas/data directory.)
>I still had the problem of not resolving grids.

Was this from the mcidas account (that you had problems) or
your own?    If the instructions for setting up the mcidas
account were followed, ADDESITE.TXT should have been created
when LOCDATA.BAT was run.  You need to make sure that the
MCTABLE_WRITE environment variable is set up correctly for
the mcidas account ($MCDATA/ADDESITE.TXT) so if you add dataset
locations later, users will find them.

>So, I looked at my own
>windfall: /home/jlm8h/mcidas/data $ more MCTABLE.TXT
>ADDE_ROUTE_PR=LOCAL-DATA
>HOST_ZERO.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU=128.117.140.56
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTNOWRAD=ZERO.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_NARE97=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_FEB97=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_SUOMI=144.92.108.194
>ADDE_ROUTE_TOMS97=LOCAL-DATA
>HOST_WINDFALL.EVSC.VIRGINIA.EDU=128.143.142.246
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTGRIDS=WINDFALL.EVSC.VIRGINIA.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_JENNIE=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_AQUA99=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_AQUA99/VIS=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_AQUA99/WV=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_ALT=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA/AREA=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA/IMAGES=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_NARE99=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_NARE99/GRIDS=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_NARE99/WV=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_NARE99/MD=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_AOD96=LOCAL-DATA
>
>McTABLE.TXT file and found that the entry for RTGRIDS
>is different than all the others.  I don't know why.

Where is it supposed to be pointing to?

>I didn't set up the ADDE server, and I really could have
>used attending the workshop, because I still don't really
>get the whole client/server ADDE setup.....but
>I was able to work with RTGRIDS before, and now I cannot.

At some point, through your account someone ran:

DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS WINDFALL.EVSC.VIRGINIA.EDU

DATALOC will look by default for the file MCTABLE.TXT which it
will find by REDIRECT/MCPATH.  In your case, it would find
the one in your mcidas/data directory.  However, if you follow
the instructions for setting up user accounts
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_users.html)
you can set up the files that will be looked in when you run
DATALOC by setting the MCTABLE_READ environment variable.  As you
said above, your MCTABLE_READ variable looks first in your
mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT file and then in ADDESITE.TXT in the
~mcidas/data directory.  In this case, it is finding a definition
for RTGRIDS in your table pointing to windfall, and that's what
it's using.

>Any idea what might be up??

Can you access grid data from the mcidas account (after you
copied over the ADDESITE.TXT file)?  If so, then delete
the entry for RTGRIDS from your MCTABLE.TXT by running

DATALOC DEL RTGRIDS

and see if you can access the data then.  If you want some
light reading, look at the ADDE docs in the User's Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/users_guide760/McHTML-49.HTML#12771

for an overview of the "whole client/server ADDE setup".

>If necessary I could give you login permission to
>mcidas (or jlm8h) to check it out. Just let me
>know if that would be helpful.

I've got to leave now, but if you still need help on Tuesday, send
me a logon for mcidas.

Don