19991029: Building UNIDATA McIDAS-X 7.60 on RedHat 6.0 Linux (cont.)

>From: Rene Lobato <rlobato@200.13.36.34>

Rene,

>Thanks for your help Tom,
>
>So far, we have followed many times your instructions to install MCIDAS
>with no success at all.
>
>When We type
>               make all
>It does seem to compile many files until it stops undefinitely at
>               mdxgra.dlm

A failure when compiling mdxgra.dlm suggests that there is a problem
with the routine convdlm since mdxgra.dlm is the first file that needs
convdlm.  The purpose of convdlm, which is the first routine built by
the McIDAS make process, is to convert McIDAS dynamic like module code
to regular Fortran source.  (Unix does not support Dynamic Link Modules
(dlm) like OS/2 did).  What we need to find out is whether or not
convdlm was built correctly and then go from there.  What you should
do, therefore, is to look in ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/makelog and look for
the section that is written during the build of convdlm.  This section
should look like the following that was taken from the makelog on our
RedHat 6.0 Linux machine:

./mccomp -O -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c convdlmc.c
gcc -c -O -ansi -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include -O -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc
convdlmc.c
compile convdlmc.c:             done
./mccomp -O -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c convdlmf.f
mcfc -c -O convdlmf.f
convdlmf.f:
   convdlm:
   nchars:
   len_trim:
compile convdlmf.f:             done
./mccomp -O -s -vendor -o convdlm convdlmc.o convdlmf.o
mcfc -s -O -o convdlm convdlmc.o convdlmf.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lf2c -ldl -lm
link    convdlm:                done

A link failure of convdlm would explain the problem you are reporting
with mdxgra.dlm.  If there is a link failure, and if the failure reports
a missing MAIN__ entry point, it means that you are trying to link
against the shared f2c library instead of the static one.  If this
is the case, you need to make sure that only the static one is searched
during the link.  A very easy way to do this is to:

<as root>
o copy libf2c.a to /usr/local/lib and make sure that it has read access
  by owner, group and world:

  chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libf2c.a

<as mcidas>
o set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to have /usr/local/lib
  as its first directory.  If you are using the C shell (csh), this
  would be done as follows:

  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

  This is best done in your .cshrc file.

  If you are using a different shell, you would have to change the
  setting accordingly.  For instance, for the Bourne, Korn, or BASH
  shells, you would do:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

If I am missing the mark with these comments, please send me the
output from ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/makelog for the convdlm build
section and for the mdxgra.dlm compile failure section.

>_____________________________
>If we type Ctrl-C,
>
>compile  woablk.for    done
>update   libmcidas.a:  done
>convdlm  mdxgra.dlm:   make:***Deleting file `mdxgra.f`
>make:***[mdxgra.f]Error 1
>
>AND THEN STOPS AND RETURNS TO LINUX

I am not sure what you mean by "type Ctrl-C".  "Ctrl-C" is usually the
key sequence for 'intr'.  I am not sure how you are using it.

>______________________________
>If we type Ctrl-D
>
>convdlm        mdxgra.dlm:     done    <HERE I TYPE CNTRL-D>
>compile        mdxgra.f:       done
>convdlm        mdxgrd.dlm:     done    <HERE I TYPE CNTRL-D>
>compile        mdxgrd.f:       done
>SO ON UNTIL
>update         libmcidas.a:    done
>convdlm        kbxaaa.dlm      FAILED
>      (See ´/home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/makelog´ for details)
>
>make:***[kblaaa.f] Error 1
>
>AND THE PROCCESS STOPS HERE.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "Ctrl-D".  It would be
best to send me the sections from makelog that pertain to the building
of convdlm and compilation of mdxgradlm.

>As I mentioned, we have tried many times, and read the installation
>procedure in detail. But until now we just cannot go ahead.
>
>Please let me know what we are doing wrong.

I am not sure what is going on on your machine, but I suspect that it
really is related to convdlm not having been built correctly (or at
all).  If the outline above regarding libf2c.a does not fit your
situation, then I will need to see the relevant makelog sections as I
have indicated above.  If all else fails, I would be happy to logon to
your machine and look around for the problem.

One last comment.  I looked back through our FTP logs and see that you
tried several times to FTP the McIDAS update file, mcupdate.tar.Z, back in
September.  Apparently, those attempts were not successful since the
size of the file you FTPed looks small:

(laraine.unidata.ucar.edu) 94 % grep mcupdate.tar xferlog | grep 200.13
Fri Sep 24 15:29:32 1999 651 200.13.36.105 0
/export/dist/umcidas/unix/760/bugfix/mcupdate.tar.Z b _ o g umcidas ftp 1
mcidas i
Fri Sep 24 15:53:42 1999 338 200.13.36.105 16384
/export/dist/umcidas/unix/760/bugfix/mcupdate.tar.Z b _ o g umcidas ftp 1
mcidas i
Fri Sep 24 16:38:36 1999 433 200.13.36.105 16384
/export/dist/umcidas/unix/760/bugfix/mcupdate.tar.Z b _ o g umcidas ftp 1
mcidas i
Tue Oct  5 14:56:23 1999 832 200.13.36.105 32768
/export/dist/umcidas/unix/760/bugfix/mcupdate.tar.Z b _ o g umcidas ftp 0 * i

(I am assuming that 200.13.36.105 is the IP address of one of your machines
since your email came from 200.13.36.34).

The last attempt shows that you got onln 32768 bytes from a file that
was about 500 K at the time.

>Thanks again.

You are welcome.

Tom