19990819: Problems configuring XCD (cont.)

>From: taylo1ml <address@hidden>

Mel,

>I did follow the installation steps.  I will recheck my file redirects (and
>everything else) again.  I used the unix-like commands because I was doing the
>email from home last night and wanted to quickly give you the exact error
>messages.

OK, I just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page.

>These same messages lines show up in the XCDINST.LOG file that was
>created during the mcidas session.

OK.  I just ran through the XCD configuration instructions pointing to
a "clean" file system here at Unidata and did not run into the problem
that you are reporting.  Now the question is what is different?

First, what kind of system are you doing this install on (manufacturer, OS,
and OS revision level)?

Second, the sequence of events run from WMORTE is:

o check to see if the IDXALIAS.DAT file exists; if not, create it
o if the option is LIST (e.g. WMORTE LIST), WMORTE reads IDXALIAS.DAT
  to see which circuits have been defined

Since WMORTE is exiting with the error "circuit DDS         not defined",
I can only assume that the directory for which you have a REDIRECTion
for IDXALIAS.DAT (set in the BATCH "XCD step) is not writable by
'mcidas'.  WMORTE tried to create IDXALIAS.DAT but failed.  When it
they tries to read back from the file, all it gets are missing data
values (something that McIDAS does for non-existent files).

Here is what I would do now:

o from a McIDAS-X session, run:

  DMAP IDXALIAS.DAT

  If IDXALIAS.DAT doesn't exist, then you most likely have a write
  permission problem in the directory pointed to by the McIDAS
  string XCDDATA.  List out what you have defined for XCDDATA:

  TL XCDDATA

o cd to the directory pointed to by XCDDATA and see if you can create
  a file:

  touch xxx

  If you can't, then change the permission on the directory so that
  you can create files.

o after doing the above, then restart the configuration process from scratch.
  From a McIDAS-X session running as the user 'mcidas', run:

  TE XCDDATA "whatever_your_directory_is
  BATCH "XCD.BAT
  BATCH "XCDDEC.BAT
  CIRCUIT LIST

If you can write to the directory, and IDXALIAS _was_ created but is somehow
not being read correctly, then I am stumped.  At this point I would request
a login as 'mcidas' so that I can poke around.

>Here is my XCDINST.LOG file:
>TFILE did OPEN on window 0
>REDIRECT REST XCD DEV=NNN
>REDIRECT SAVE XCDDEC DEV=NNN
>SCHE DCASTA
>BILDTEXT INIT FOUS14.RAP   FOUS14.RAT    600 2 C4   2 12 80 FOUS14   X 32
>Input configuration now being built
>BILDTEXT INIT RAOB.RAP     RAOB.RAT     1600 7 IDN 16  3 80 RAOB     X 32
>Input configuration now being built
>BILDTEXT INIT SAOMETAR.RAP SAOMETAR.RAT 4500 4 C4  36  1 80 SAOMETAR X 32
>Input configuration now being built
>BILDTEXT INIT SYNOPTIC.RAP SYNOPTIC.RAT 6000 1 IDN 16  3 80 SYNOPTIC X 32
>Input configuration now being built
>BILDTEXT INIT TERMFCST.RAP TERMFCST.RAT 2500 4 C4  12  1 80 TERMFCST X 32
>Input configuration now being built
>CIRCUIT LIST
>DECINFO LIST
>IDGROUP LIST
>SIGCO   LIST
>WMORTE  LIST DDS
>circuit DDS         not defined
>WMORTE: Done
>ROUTE SUS MA RM RS
>ROUTE: Done
>TFILE CLOSE

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Aug 19 14:55:37 1999

It was a permission problem.  (Redirect was correct).  Arg....

As always. Thanks for the help