19990504: Problems compiling MCIDAS on Linux RH 5.2

>From: Peter Molnar <address@hidden>

Peter,

>I'm Peter Molnar, just another person in the Earth System Science
>Program at Clark Atlanta University...

Hi.

>Again, we try to get MCIDAS working. The existing installation on one of
>our SUN workstations is completely corrupted. I belive all the
>directories moved to other places. Since it'll take a while to detangle
>all that, I tried to make a clean start by installing
>MCIDAS in an Intel RedHat Linux 5.2 machine.

OK.  From the output below, it looks like you are trying to build
McIDAS-X 7.50.  Please let me know if I am mistaken in this.

>A problem occurs when make tries to use "convdlm". The rule for
>creating it out of the object files completes sucessfully, however
>there's no file "convdlm". The when using it for "mdxgra.dlm" make
>fails:
>
>compile woablk.for:             done
>update  libmcidas.a:            done
>convdlm mdxgra.dlm:             FAILED (See
>'/work/mcidas/mcidas7.5/src/makelog' for details.)
>
>make: *** [mdxgra.f] Error 1
>
>in makelog:
>---------------------------
>
>./convdlm mdxgra.dlm
>./mclog: ./convdlm: No such file or directory
>convdlm mdxgra.dlm:             FAILED
>
>Any ideas?

This shows us that convdlm was never built.  Please more toward the beginning
of makelog to see the error messages that were produced when convdlm was
attempted to be built.

>Do you have a binary distribution by any chance?

No, sorry.  The McIDAS distributions are so big that making a binary
distribution available is too problematic.

>Your help will be greatly appreciated.

It would help me if you would send me a listing of the environment you
are building in (output from 'env' command in the shell), which shell
you are using, etc.  We build on RedHat Linux 5.2 here all of the time
and have no problems.

Tom Yoksas