19990504: profiler (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>I also emailed Clint to check on the feedtype issue, but would
>not have known about the error you found.

It turns out that what I was seeing is an artifact.  Clint is, in
fact, requesting everything from his upstream feed site.  The listing
in our current operational status page is in error.

>What correction was needed in our pqact.conf regarding  the
>profiler lines?  I had looked at these, and thought they were ok.

The product codes listed for the hourly summary and 6-minute profiler
data were not correct.  The hourly summary profiler data in the FSL2
feed is recognized in the McIDAS routing table as product U2; the
6-minute data is recognized as product U6.  The product code U4 was
used for the hourly summary profiler data in PROFILER.CDF in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  The entries I found used product codes
U2 and U4 as follows:

# Hourly summary
FSL2    ^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.01hr\.(.*)\..*
        PIPE    -close
        proftomd -d /var/data/mcidasd U4 WPRO 81 -v

# 6-minute
FSL2    ^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.06min\.(.*)\..*
        PIPE    -close
        proftomd -d /var/data/mcidasd U2 WPR6 91 -v

Also, the -v flag must come before the Ux Wxxx x1 arguments.
I just checked my ldm-mcidas distribution and find that _I_ am the
culprit for this mistake!  I humbly apologize.

>Some other questions;
>
>I have tried to look at some skewT plots on waldo, with only
>minimal success.  When requesting such a plot, I get an error
>message in the text window (i clicked on the keyboard icon)
>that states: invalid time, 2nd positional arg has invalid integer
>form    00.00.00;  same message if 12z time is used.

OK, I am assuming that you are using my GUI since you mention the
keyboard icon.  If the time was specified as "00.00.00" then
an error should be generated.  In my old GUI interface to the SKEWT
command, I would regularize the time from 00 to 00:00:00 and
12 to 12:00:00.  The UAPLOT command, however, does not (yet)
allow for times to be specified as HH:MM:SS (this is a design flaw/
bug from SSEC).

>It seemed to me that no matter what i tried, 00 or 12 imediately
>changes to 00:00:00 or 12:00:00 and the same problem repeated.

This is very strange indeed.  I just started up a McIDAS session on
waldo as your 'mcidas' user with display pointed back here at Unidata
(so I should be running the exact same code as you).  When I go to
plot Skew-t diagrams, everything is fine.  To see if the problem lies
with a non-SkewT thermodynamic diagram, I marched through the selections
in the "Plot type" dropdown:

Skew T Log P
Stuve
Linear T vs P
Emagram

All of these thermodynamic diagrams plotted correctly and with no errors.
I next tried:

Hodograph

and it succeeded as well.

>I had success once when selecting F5 on the menu, which created
>a station idn table.  Then, my first call for a skewT went ok.
>Later tries produced the error noted above.  Any ideas?

OK, you are trying to put up the SkewT from the Fkey menu?  To test
out the Fkey menu plots, I brought it up from the GUI (Misc dropdown
followed by selection of the Fkey Menu action).  I then plotted a
SkewT from the Fkey menu with no problems.

The question is what I am doing differently from you?  Are you running
the SkewT plotting from the 'mcidas' account?  If not, it could have
something to do with your account's setup (but I don't know what right
at the moment).

>Also, are raw surface and raw upper air data available within
>mcidasx?

Absolutely.  Try the following from the GUI:

o click on Display
o click on Data Lists
o click on Coded
o click on Surface

An interactive widget comes up asking you the station name, time, day, etc.
After filling in the information (or taking the default), another window
is popped open with the results from the ADDE application that was run
(SFCRPT in this case).

>I don't think so, since the decoders create files in
>MD format from the DDPLUS feed.

They also create Rapid Access Files that contain pointers into the
daily text "spool" files that are being saved in your /var/data/mcidas
directory.  The spool files have sufficies of .XCD.

>I suppose the solution is to
>sort the raw DDPLUS products into the surface and upper air files,
>something like what was done for WXP if I recall.

This is not needed.  McIDAS-X couple with XCD to give you very good
listing of coded (i.e. undecoded) and decoded datasets.

>I know they
>can be obtained from archive sites so it is not a big problem.

I think that there may be a couple of things going on here:

o a totally new way of doing things: XCD and ADDE applications
o perhaps running from an account where things are not setup fully

Which machine were you running your McIDAS-X session on?  What version
of McIDAS-X was running there (it will be 7.503 if the answer is waldo)?
What account were you running from?  If you are running from an account
other than 'mcidas', could you give me the login so I can experience
the problems first hand?  Thanks...

>Thanks

Thanks for your kind words in the email to Dave regarding Glenn's death.
As you might imagine, we are all devastated here at Unidata.  Glenn
will be missed on many levels by many, many people.

Tom