19990217: Building Mcidas-X 7.40

>From: Adam Burnett <address@hidden>

Adam,

>As I mentioned last week, I'm attempting to build mcidas-x 7.4.  To make a
>long story short, I can't seem to break through 1 build error that I
>receive.  Things were moving right along when I get the error.  The error
>comes quite a while after I run the make mcx command and it looks like:
>
>./convdlm mdxgra.dlm
>ls.so.1: ./convdlm: fatal: libF77.so.3: open failed: no such file or
>directory.

The failure is caused by the executable convdlm not being able to find the
Fortran shared library, libF77.so.3.  Since you have Fortran, you must
also have the Fortran libraries.  I seem to remember that you have a Sun
and the development environment is somehow exported from a different
machine.  To me this means that the location of the Fortran library
on your machine is non-standard.  If this is the case, you need to add
the directory in which the Fortran libraries exist to a LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable that is set in the session in which you are attempting
to build McIDAS-X.

>I was unsure what file this error is referring to.  convdlm and mdxgra.dlm
>are where they are supposed to be.  I messed around with my path
>configuration thinking that the soultion was there - no luck.

You were close when you thought about altering your PATH.

>Any ideas where my problem might be?

Do the following:

o locate the directory containing the libF77.so.3 library
o edit your .cshrc file (IF you use C shell) or .profile (if you use the
  Bourne or Korn shells) and add:

  C shell:

  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH <directory_containing_Fortran_lib>:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

  Bourne or Korn shells:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<directory_containing_Fortran_lib>:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

o make the settings active in your session (easiest way is to logoff and then
  log back on)
o rerun make

>Thanks

Please keep me informed about your progress.

Tom