19990120: MC help

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony-

>I have two healthy AREA files, AREA9960 and AREA9961. They are 15 km
>resolution PS projection files that I created from GOES W/E files,
>respectively. AREA9960 is shown in the attachment, exa.gif, and AREA9961
>is shown in the attachment exb.gif. When I try to combine them on a split
>screen with the command
>
>MC 9960 9961 9965 SPL 1000 436
>
>then I get the image that you can see in the attachment exc.gif. I can't
>see what I'm doing wrong.

MC with the SPL option will create a new image that will put the
left edge of the second image at the split point defined by the
line/element you selected.  What you need to do is create an image
for the right half of the output image which has a projection of
the right half of the final PS image.  This is detailed in
the on-line Workshop materials (using ADDE commands) at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/workshop/image.remapping.html

with several different methods of achieving the same thing.

In a nutshell, you need two base images.  One is the projection of
the final image.  The other has a projection that is the right half
of the first image.  Here is an example using the quadraspheric
topographic image (AREA9019):

1) Create a copy of the base image (so you don't mess it up)

IMGCOPY TOPO/QUAD MYDATA/IMAGES.4000 SIZE=ALL

or

AA 9019 4000 ASIZE=ALL

2) Create an image that is the right half of the image.  The original
image is 592 x 1204. (use LA or IMGLIST to get this information).  So
we want to create an image that is 592 lines X 602 elements:

IMGCOPY TOPO/QUAD MYDATA/IMAGES.4001 LINELE=0 602 SIZE=592 602

or

AA 9019 4001 0 AU 0 602 1 592 602

3) Remap the GOES-W image into the full projection:

IMGREMAP RTIMAGES/GW-IR MYDATA/IMAGES.4000 SMOOTH=YES

or

REMAP 139 4000 SMOOTH=YES

4) Remap the GOES-E image into the eastern half image you created.

IMGREMAP RTIMAGES/GE-IR MYDATA/IMAGES.4001 SMOOTH=YES

or

REMAP 159 4001 SMOOTH=YES

5) Combine the two images:

IMGREMAP MYDATA/IMAGES.4001 MYDATA/IMAGES.4000 SMOOTH=YES MERGE=YES

or

REMAP 4001 4000 SMOOTH=YES MERGE=YES

or

MC 4000 4001 4002 SPL 1000 603

This should give you the final image you want.

Let us know if this is not clear.  I suggest you try the ADDE commands
because MC will be dropped from the distribution next summer.

Don Murray
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/