20010216: 20010215: Starting the LDM

Erick,

LDM uses the Unidata regiestered port of 388. The default ldmd.conf
file distributed with LDM has an allow line for *.unidata.ucar.edu
that allows me to run notifyme to your machine such as I did last night.

The rpd.ldmd program is installed setuid so that it can connect to port 388
initially. After that point, the program has no root privaleges.
If you do not run rpc.ldmd with the setuid bit set, then user level
will not be able to connect to port 388. In this case, the LDM will be assigned
a port at runtime by the portmapper (sunrpc 111). If the LDM is not running on
port 388, then you would have to expose port 111 to the downstream, as well
as the user port access which generally are ports greater than 1024.
It is generally better to have LDM running on port 388. Then you should be able
to use TCP wrappers on that 1 port, instead of a dynamically assigned port.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support