[IDV #LCA-261543]: GrADS .ctl files

Hi Stefan-

Thanks for testing this, see comments interspersed below.

> Awesome work, thanks! I am testing it out now on the file I uploaded
> for you, as well as other files. On the file I uploaded to you, here
> are the results so far:
>
> ARWpost quantities I am able to plot, NOTE: only checked ones I really
> use a lot:
>
> 2D:
> Sea level pressure
> MCAPE
> MCIN
> RH@2m(looks very funky though, image attached)
> Wind Speed at 10m
> Wind Direction at 10m
> Rotated Wind Components(both, need to add a title showing that they
> are U10 and V10, show up just as "rotated wind component" in the field
> selector)
> Max Reflectivity
> LCL
> LFC(looks funky again though)
> PBL Height
> Potential Temp at 2m
> Temp at 2m
> Sea Surface Temp
> Terrain Height
> OLR
> Total Convective Precip
> Total Grid-scale Precip(can we make a derived quantity for total
> precipitation IE: RAINNC + RAINC?)
> Dewpoint temp at 2m
> All the Cloud Fractions
>
> 3D(all checked at multiple levels):
> Geopotential
> Temperature(K and C Units)
> Potential Temperature
> Equivalent Potential Temp
> Isentropic Condensation Temp
> Dewpoint temp
> Rel. Humidity
> All wind related components(umet,vmet,wdir,wspd, need title for
> rotated wind components though)
> Reflectivity
> CAPE
> CIN
>
> IDV Derived I am able to plot:
>
> 2D:
> Relative Vorticity
> Absolute Vorticty
> Flow Vectors(streamlines, vectors too dense due to # of grid points)
> Wind Speed
>
> 3D:
> Speed
> 3D Flow Vectors
> Potential Temp from T
> Flow Vectors
> True Flow Vectors
> Relative Vorticity
> Absolute Vorticity
>

> IDV Derived I am NOT able to plot(2D and 3D):

Okay, some of this is because the IDV is picking the wrong variables to
generate the derived quantities.  For example, there are several variables
called Temperature and it's probably picking the wrong one. For example, plot
Dewpoint as a color shaded plan view, and then look at the Help->Details for
the control.  It's using "perturbation potential temperature (theta-t0) (K)".
This is a general problem with the derived quantities in the IDV.

Since the whole point of ARWPost is to calculate specific variables, I suggest
using grids like Dewpoint Temperature (C) variable under 3D grids for dewpoint
and Potential Temperature for theta.  As for things like the Skew-T, you could
use the Formulas->Grids->Define a grid diagnostic and manually select the
fields.  If you mouse over the 3D grid->Derived->Sounding Data (T & dewpoint),
you'll see that this is just a wrapper for the formula
DerivedGridFactory.combineGrids(D1,D2).  Select the formula, and then choose
the Soundings->Grid Skew-T for the display.  In the dialog, enter the formula.
When prompted, select the Temperature (C) and Dewpoint (C) from the 3D grids
and you'll get the Skew-T. If you want to calculate IPV, use the formula
PVOR(THTA) and selected the 3D grids->Potential Temperature field

> Dewpoint temp
> Mixing Ratio
> Dewpoint Depression
> Equivalent Potential Temp
> Sounding data(both, comes up with a Java Heap Space error)
> Potential Temp from T AND P
> Relative Humidity
> Horizontal Divergence(Freezes up IDV)
> Isentropic Potential Vorticity(Gives error about vertical differential)
> Potential Vorticity(gives error about Units)
>
> All of the above were checked also on another 4km simulation I have
> recently done. This file contained the exact same domain and was post-
> processed using the same procedures as the uploaded one. The only
> difference is that this file had 30 times in it, output was generated
> every hour. None of the above variables worked at all when I removed
> the previous data source and loaded this one in. I was getting
> negative off-seek errors, or really funky magnitudes(SLP was .1 19).
> If I close out IDV, reload it and load the data set again I was able
> to plot some. I tried plotting ARWpost SLP and was able to plot the
> first two time steps with correct values and magnitudes. The rest of
> the time steps were blank. This was true for every variable, 2D and
> 3D, with none of the IDV-derived quantities working at all. Some
> ARWpost variables, like precipitation, worked on the 2nd and 3rd time
> step(precip isnt derived at the initialization time)

If you could upload 2 timesteps of the other run and the ctl file (I'll edit it
to just have 2 times), I'll take a look.

> It seems IDV didn't like the idea of having two grads files open, or
> was getting confused communicating to both. Closing IDV and starting
> fresh seemed to alleviate this issue, with most ARWpost quantities
> working on both files(second file not so much). Also, it seems like
> there is an issue grabbing moisture data since all the IDV-derived
> quantities that didnt work had some sort of moisture field in them.

I'm not sure why.  Are the ctl names different?

> Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

This has been helpful.

Don

Ticket ID: LCA-261543
Department: Support IDV