[IDD #MDC-114541]: high load average

Hi Clint,

I drove your question into to our inquiry tracking system so the answer
will be generally available...

re:
> I have not yet done my tests to see if temporarily turning off the
> feed to School of Mines drops the load average on idd.unl.edu.  What
> was the line I need to put in ldmd.conf?  I should have written it
> down when we were talking about it.

Hmm... this is a good question.  The default is to deny connections
that are not explicitly ALLOWed in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.  If you have
a blanket ALLOW for '.edu's, this would be difficult since there is
no DENY action.  Perhaps the best way to do this is to add an entry
to your /etc/hosts file that defines the name of the School of Mines
machine to something that is not ALLOWed (e.g., to a .com name).
What this would do is cause each feed request to be denied, and those
would reoccur every minute (so you will get lots of messages in your
LOG file).  I believe that the denying of the connection would only
occur after a restart of your LDM, but I am not positive.  We use
the inverse of this procedure -- defining a name for a machine that
does not have proper DNS -- to ALLOW sites that for some reason can
not setup forward/reverse DNS.

Ticket ID: MDC-114541
Department: Support IDD