[Staging #FZM-387181]: Code for CCL in NSHARP?

Greetings,

> We're redesigning the [application] to integrate many capabilities provided
> by NSHARP.  Our software engineers have looked through SHARPpy and NSHARP
> code but haven't been able to identify any code for calculating the CCL
> height for surface-based, mixed layer, forecast surface, and most unstable
> parcels similar to the outputs in the inset in the yellow highlighted portion
> of the attached SPC Skew-T example.
>
> Are the necessary code/equations contained within the NSHARP code to complete
> such calculations?  If so, could we get some assistance with identifying the
> appropriate code?

I do not believe NSHARP has that capability, though I am not totally sure.  To
be honest though, we no longer support/maintain the GEMPAK software package; it
has transitioned to a community supported model on Github
(https://github.com/Unidata/gempak/).  There is also an email list we manage,
the "gembud" list.  Instructions on how to join that are on the Github page as
well.  I'd recommend you pose your GEMPAK questions there, though again for
this issue I don't believe NSHARP can calculate CCL.  I could be wrong.

I took a look at the SHARPpy code base because I thought it did compute CCL,
but after reviewing that code it doesn't look like that capability exists.  To
be honest I'm a little surprised by that.  Likewise that community is probably
better equipped to address this as SHARPpy isn't one of our packages; maybe
it's a capability that could be added.

One last thing I want to point you towards is MetPy, our Python package for
meteorological applications.  MetPy can indeed calculate CCL:
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.ccl.html.  If
you haven't used MetPy before there can be a small learning curve; if you have
any questions either respond to me and I'll answer what I can or I'll forward
it to our Python group.  OR, you can always write them directly at
address@hidden.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: FZM-387181
Department: Support GEMPAK
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.