[GEMPAK #NWX-107564]: GEMPAK docs

Hi,

> > If you would like to assist in the maintenance you can do so by
> > contributing to the gh-pages branch:
> > https://github.com/Unidata/gempak/tree/gh-pages
>
> Mike, I was replying to this:
>
> Perhaps those desires were never genuine?

I'm assuming you're referring to the screenshot you attached, which looks like
the message we had on the GitHub page until a short moment ago.

A little bit more context:  Earlier this summer before I started here I reached
out to Unidata with the same offer.  After discussing it with Unidata and Daryl
Herzmann we decided the best course of action was to move the documentation
over to GitHub Pages.  That way community members would be able to assist
without having to worry about logging into another server or anything, and the
docs would be housed in the same repo as the code.  The sense of urgency on
this was pretty low, however, and especially as I started through the hiring
process here updating the GEMPAK documentation just kept getting pushed off.

When you wrote in asking about assisting, it gave a renewed sense of urgency to
move the documentation over so that you (and others) can contribute if you
wish.  So yes, the desire expressed in that screenshot is absolutely genuine.
It was just written before using GitHub Pages was decided on, and before I
joined Unidata last month.

> > There are still a couple of things I plan to update and that to-do
> list can be seen here:
> https://github.com/Unidata/gempak/discussions/122
>
> That list only magically appeared 3 hours ago, perhaps related to above?

I made that list a few hours ago, yes.  Those were some things I came across in
recent history that merit an update to the docs.  Now that the docs are moved
over that discussion is mostly there to let people know those particular
updates are coming soon based on the links provided.

> and the mention of ubuntu above... foreshame

Welll, I tend to use Ubuntu more than other distros and have had to install
GEMPAK there a handful of times.  When a user asked about those install
instructions I posted and cleaned up what I had in that GitHub issue, and it
makes sense to include those in the documentation's install section now too.

Sorry if there was any confusion over the documentation maintenance.  Please
let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: NWX-107564
Department: Support GEMPAK