20001103: GEMPAK color allocation

Curtis,

You probably aren't running your X display in 8 bit color mode.

Run the program "xdpyinfo". That will show what your default visual id
is, and what the depth of that display is. FOr GEMPAK, this must be
8 bits (pseudocolor), truecolor will not work.

To configure your X server to run in 8 bit mode, you would configure
/etc/dt/config/Xservers (usually copied there from /usr/dt/config/Xservers)
so that the /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun program launches with defdepth 8.
See the manpage for Xsun for more information on this configuration.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport