20001009: PVOR

Pat,

$GEMPAKHOME/source/gemlib/dv/dvpvor.f:

C* DV_PVOR                                                              *
C*                                                                      *
C* This subroutine computes the potential vorticity in a layer from     *
C* scalar (thermal and pressure) and vector (wind) fields:              *
C*                                                                      *
C*     PVOR ( s, V ) = - GRAVTY * AVOR ( VLAV (V) ) * LDF ( CTA ) /     *
C*                  ( 100 * LDF ( PRES ) )                              *
C*                  Where: 100 converts millibars to Pascals            *
C*                         CTA can be THTA, THTE, or THES               *
C* PVOR works on a layer in THTA or PRES coordinates.  In the case of   *
C* PRES, the vorticity of the layer averaged wind is corrected by       *
C* the addition of ( k cross partial V w.r.t. CTA ) dot grad (CTA).     *
C* PVOR generates a scalar grid.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support