20000616: given up

>From: Thomas Don Aratari <address@hidden>

>Ok, I've given up trying to compile gempak on a linux machine :)
>
>I compiled it fine on our Sun machines here, is it possible to run the
>graphical display tru the Sun machine on the linux box? When I try it
>gives this error:
>
>graphic, satellite, radar -- 33 30 16
>         Request total # of colors = 79
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  86 (X_AllocColorCells)
>  Value in failed request:  0x0
>  Serial number of failed request:  221
>  Current serial number in output stream:  221
>

>Can i get around this or do I have to compile on the linux machine?
>

>Tom

>Thomas Aratari                 address@hidden
>UofM ITD Contract Services     System/Desktop Administration
>Pager: 670-3861                        E-Page: address@hidden
>AOSS Building -
>       LDM/Systems Admin       (734) ???-????
>SOE Building -
>       Desktop Support         (734) 764-9903

Tom,

You can send the display back to your Linux box X display....but as always,
you have to make sure that the default visual on your display is 8 bit color.
Same as if you were running the Linux binary installation on your Linux box.

To check your X display, you can use the "xdpyinfo" program. From your
error message above, it looks like your display is running with the default
visual ID in 24 bit (True Color) mode. This has to be 8 bit (pseudocolor) mode.

Gnome is also a big color pig on Linux. I generally run using kdm or fvwm.
Even though you've given up on building on Linux, you can still try running
the binaries.

Steve Chiswell