20000511: adding image product to GARP

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Hi Dave-

Chiz is out for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully we can figure this out.

>Hopefully an easy question here.  I have been asked to save NIDS
>products from yesterday, and make it available on GARP,  One big caveat
>is that this data should be separate from the regular NIDS products we
>use garp for and it must be available for general use and viewable at
>the same time as our regular image/NIDS products are.

Okay.

>What I would like to do is to have an extra button in garp in the
>"Image Products/Data Source" window which would access the NIDS
>products for yesterday. I have set up a directory for these
>data which mirrors our normal NIDS data structure.  I also played
>around with the Garp_defaults file and changed
>the line:
>nids            : $(RADDIR)/NIDS
>to look like:
>"nids            : $(RADDIR)/NIDS $(RADDIR)/NIDS_PA_000510"

If anything, it should be:

nids            : "$(RADDIR)/NIDS $(RADDIR)/NIDS_PA_000510"

like sat is, but even that is wrong.

>This gives me the extra button in the Data Source window, and the Data
>Scale and Product Type windows come up fine.

That is more that it looks for directories under the gempak/images directory
and puts them in the Image Products/Data Source lists.

>However, the Available
>Times window is incorrect, both for the case study and for the normal
>NIDS.  I also get the following errors:
>

>*** File: /var/data/gempak/images/NIDS/BGM/BREF1/BREF1_000511_1130
> does not match
>    Template: /var/data/gempak/images/NIDS
>/var/data/gempak/images/NIDS_PA_000510/%(site)/%(product)/*_@(
>YYMMDD)_@(HHNN)

The reason for this is that at the bottom of the Garp_defaults file
the template of the files for filenames.  So it is trying
to create a template that has "$(RADDIR)/NIDS
$(RADDIR)/NIDS_PA_000510"/(the_rest_of_the_template).

>How can I get garp to properly display both the case study
>and the normal image products at the same time?

What you might try is to define a new type under nids:

nids_casestudy          : $(RADDIR)/NIDS_PA_000510

and under the templates, put:

nids_casestudyT :  $(nids_casestudy)/%(site)/%(product)/*_@(YYYYMMDD)_@(HHNN)

I'm not sure this will work, but give it a try and let me know.  Unfortunately,
I have to reconfigure my workstation to 8-bit mode if I want to test this
and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.  If it doesn't work, I'll
give change it so I can run GEMPAK on my system (will probably have to
just to do all the other support for the next week).

Don