20000503: Xvfb

Chris,
If you running straight openwindows on Solaris, you probably don't have
Xvfb in your /usr/openwin/bin directory. Many OS's like Linux and OSF
ship with Xvfb already installed.

You can build the entire system from scratch (ftp.x.org), or there
are binary distributions out there:
ftp://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/special_request/xvfb/solaris/

I tested out the ferret set above. It requires that you unpack it into
a /usr/X11R6 directory.

Then, as root, you can launch the server like:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1280x1024x8 &

This creates a host:1.0 display with 1280x1024 pixels and 8 bits.

You can create a list of hosts in /etc/X1.hosts which you allow to
contact the server with their DISPLAY variable (if you want several
machines in your lab to connect to it). I start it in the /etc/init.d
startup section on our server.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support