20000502: 20000501: 20000223: gf driver

Chris,

If you are generating gifs to the console display, then yes, you
really want ntl to be running so that the shared color map exists
between all gempak programs, and any other programs like browsers, desktops,
etc. aren't competing with the cron programs for the colors.

If you do a lot of gif generation, then running a virtual X server such as Xvfb
works well so that you don't have to worry about your desktop colors
and conflicts with cron jobs. In those cases, you would then have a shear:1
display to draw to.

The output you see with >0.0u 0.0s 0:07 0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
is indicative of running the unix "time" command with a job that shows tha
cpu usage. Typically, you would run "time eta_sfc.csh" if you wanted to
keep track of how much cpu usage a program took, or if you had
quotas invoked on your users. Otherwise, something in your environment
may be defined. Since the script is run from cron with csh -f, you
should not be inheriting your environment in those cases.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support