20000426: ETA questions

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>Now that we're getting the 60hr ETA, I get each 6 hr forecast out to
>54hrs, but I don't get the last one, the 60hr fcst.  Any idea why not?  I
>also don't get the 54hr EMSL grid.
>
>Also, is it possible to get the 40km (or finer) ETA grids over the feed I
>get?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tony

>   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
>   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
>   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
>   fax: 303.556.4436                www.mscd.edu/~eas

Tony,

I need some context. Are you not receiving the grids, or is this related
to the decoder output for Gempak or McIDAS?

The default maximum number of grids in a gempak file is 1500. You might
be pushing this. You can increase this using the -m option to dcgrib
(eg -m 5000). If its a McIDAS question, you might have to look at the schema
to the file numbers being used.

The 40km grids are on the NOAAPORT HRS stream. You can capture these
with the pattern ^[YZ].R.*/mETA. The 20KM surface grids are the "U"
grids. See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl
for pattern action exaples for the ETA and the different grids available.

Steve Chiswell