20000329: binary gempak for IRIX

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

>Hi...
>
>I checked the gbuddy ftp account for a binary version of gempak/garp for
>IRIX but didn't see what looked like a recent one there.  Do you know if
>one would be available from somewhere and whether there are any issues
>with trying to use a binary built on another IRIX hardware platform?  I
>need it for an O2 system that has no compilers.  Could I build it on our
>Power Challenge (that has compilers) and have it work on an O2? Thanks for
>any ideas.
>
>                                      Art.
>
>Arthur A. Person
>Research Assistant, System Administrator
>Penn State Department of Meteorology
>email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563

Art,

I have't provided IRIX binaries (other than the xpm libraries and at times
posting a decoder or 2 for a site that was having problems with their version
so that they could compare against what I have).

I can post a binary distribution of pl16 for you. That probably makes things
a little more difficult to upgrade along the line. The other option is
to build on the Challenge and tar up the distribution. I use the -o32 flag
in the Makinc.irix configuration so that you should be able to use the
same binaries between Irix 5.x and Irix 6.x and for both IRIX and IRIX64.
All you would have to do is redefine the NAWIPS variable in the Gemenviron
file when you moved it to a new location.

Let me know if you want me to post a binary distribution for you.

Steve Chiswell