20000316: nawips

>From: address@hidden

>I seem to be missing the profiler (bufr) decoder dcprof.  I found the .c
>and .o files, but the executable is missing from /bin/sol.  Is there some
>reason or I did I not get it installed properly?
>
>Also, I am getting alot of 'Number of bulletins read and processed: 0'.
>This has been going on for days without a single bulletin decoded for ship
>(dcsynop), any of the storm data (dcstorm), or mos (dcamos,dcnmos,dcmmos).
>Is this normal or do I have something configured wrong?  I know these
>programs are being executed because of the log, but nothing ever gets
>decoded.
>
>Alan.
>

>        ****** Signature Tag ******
>
>        National Climatic Data Center

Alan,

I don't use the dcprof BUFR profiler decoder any longer since FSL provides
us with the NetCDF hourly and 6 minute observations in the FSL2 IDD data stream.
The BUFR files available on NOAAPORT only contain hourly summaries. There
were also serious limitations to the NWS distribution of the profiler
data under FOS. Since the data were not considered operational, they would
delay their broadcaset until after models etc, so that the midday delivery
was often 2-3 hours late. The dcncprof decoder will decode both the
6 minute and hourly NetCDF files from FSL.

If you are not seeing any decoder data files with the other decoders, you
probably need to check your -s and -p station and packing table paths to the
decoder entry in pqact.conf to make sure the decoder can find the necessary
ancillary tables in the gempak tree. At the least, you should see the
mos files every day (2x for the ngm andavn) and the dcsynop will run
most of the day between the surface synoptic decoding and the ship/buoy
decoding. Since the WWUS60 files ccome in hourly, you should see output
there too.

Are the dchrly and dcupair decoders working, and the ones you list not?
Or are none of the decoders performing. Most of the text bulletin decoders
are looking for the ^A for style start of the bulletin. Since you are getting
the
data from FSL, I don't know what their feed looks like.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support