20000315: Trying to get Dansville and Wellsville on GARP

>From: Robert Ballentine <address@hidden>

>Steve:
>   I have found that both Dansville, NY (KDSV) and Wellsville, NY (KELZ) send
>metars over the ldm.  I would like to get those reports to display on GARP to
>help our student forecasters by adding coverage over Western New York.  I
>added the stations to my sfmetar_sa.tbl file using the same format as for the
>existing stations.  After restarting the ldm and waiting until after the next
>hourly colection, I was unable to get DSV and ELZ to show up on the GARP
>surface plot.  Even after I did a delqueue and mkqueue and system reboot I
>was still unable to get them to plot on GARP.  I cannot understand what I am
>doing wrong.  I was able to get KPEO (Penn Yan, NY) last fall by simply adding
>its station info to the sfmetar_sa.tbl file.  KPEO now plots fine on GARP.
>   Here are the 15Z metars from DSV and ELZ from this morning:
>KDSV 151454Z AUTO 13007KT 10SM FEW075 08/02 A3007 RMK AO2 SLP197^M^M
>     60000 T00830017 58020 TSNO=^M^M
>KELZ 151456Z AUTO 18009KT 10SM FEW075 SCT095 09/M01 A3006 RMK AO2^M^M
>     SLP193 T00891011 58013 TSNO=^M^M
>   Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.
>   Thanks,
>   Bob

Bob,

The updated sfmetar_sa.tbl file will be used to create the next new gempak
surface file. If you are creating daily Gempak files, then this will occur
with 00Z metars. If you are creating hourly surface files, then this would
occur with the next hours data.

You can see if DSV is in the current file with:
area=@dsv and sfparm=slat;slon;text

If the surface file was created before you added the stations to the table,
slat and slon will be 0.00...but the text and decoded report will be there.
If the station is in the file, you can use sfstns to update the station
information with your new station table (you shoud make sure the LDM is
not writing new reports into the file when you do that...otherwise the
file will get corrupted). If the number of unknown stations exceeded the -a
additional stations, then there may not have been space to add the station
to the table initially- but will be there when the new file is created.

If the station is not in a newly created file, then make sure you have
spaces and not tabs in the sfmetar_sa.tbl entry.

Steve Chiswell