20000307: GEMPAK Download

>From: address@hidden

>Got a clean nawips make!!!  Thanks for your help!
>
>I have spent that last two hours trying to figure out my pqact.conf file
>configurations.  Because we use the acqserver supplied by FSL, our ldm
>product queue entries differ quite a bit.  My entries look like:
>
>NOAAPORT.NWSTG.GRID.YVQI37.KWBE.091910.0003678889.2000069193532844
>
>As an example, I need to match your pattern of ^[YZ].[Q].*/mETA to decode
>the ETA grids.  I don't have the /mETA option, so how can I pick out the
>ETA's?
>
>One possibility is (so I'm told) the callsign is different for the
>different grids, but I can't seem to verify that  in any documentation
>anywhere.  If this is true, do you have any documentation or can you point
>me to any documentation?
>
>Another possibility would be to re-insert the product into the queue using
>the same method you use (pqing I think) and that would get the /mETA where
>I need it.  If I have to go with this option, can someone help me to get
>this implemented?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Alan.

Alan,
At one time, all grid data on FOS came out as KWBC which wasn't unique,
so we had to generate the /m tags- so we just matched on KWB.

The GRIB documentation Table A.5 shows what is supposed to be used.
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/nws/nmc/docs/gribed1/sect5.pdf

Page A.1 referenced header bytes 8-11, and the last letter is shown in Table
A.5.

For ETA, D is early Eta, and E is Meso. I verified from our NOAAport feed that
all the ETA data is using KWBD or KWBE.

The RUC is supposed to be KWBG...but still appears under KWBC along with NOW,
SST
and AVN/SSI.

NGM comes in under KWBF as advertized.

At least for the ETA, you can match your FSL feed using the pattern:
^NOAAPORT\.NWSTG\.GRID\.[YZ].[Q]...\.KWB[DE]
and NGM with
^NOAAPORT\.NWSTG\.GRID\.[YZ].[Q]...\.KWBF

There are 2 features I included in dcgrib which are the addition of the file
templates @@@ and ### to the standard YYYY MM DD HH so that you can pipe
grid data to dcgrib with the output file named like
YYYYMMDDHH_model###_grid@@@.gem

The templates are replaced with appropriate values as determined by each grib,
and ### is the model number (eg 085 or 089 for the ETA...but supposed to move to
084 this year; 039 for NGM, etc) and @@@ is replaced by the grid number (eg 211
for Q).
So, at least if you can't get a completely unique pattern for all your different
model needs, you can still generate unique file names.

Here I just pipe all the ETA grids to the decoder with @@@ and get
211, 207, 216, 212 and 215 grids separated out into separate files.

The downside to using ### is that the AVN and MRF grids use 2 different process
numbers (one for the SSI and the other for the forecast fields so 77, 78, 80,
81, 82 etc)-
go figure. The AVN and MRF are supposed to be renumbered to 96 and 94 this
year...
but I don't know if they will still use a different number of the SSI.
The numbers for AVN and MRF are supposed to differentiate T62, T126, T170 etc.,
but NCEP doesn't do that. When they went from T126 to T170 then back to T126
etc the numbers stayed the same.

Steve Chiswell