20000302: Gempak colors

Ka Kit,

As we thought, your display is set for 24buit true color instead of pseudocolor.

> default visual id:  0x20
>    visual id:    0x20
>    class:    TrueColor

Your documentation for that software should show you how to
configure it. You can configure your X software to provide
both 24 bit color and 8 bit color- the point here is that the "default"
visual will have to be 8 bit for Gempak to run. Other software like
can use the 24 bit color planes. McIDAS will work properly with
8 bit default visuals.

The downside to 8 bit colo is that uyou only have 256 colors instead
of 16 million. But that is the only way to run Gempak.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support