Re: 19991230: Garp 2.1 update, gdthgt update

Matt,

the pl12 distribution is the complete Gempak distribution.
The number of changes were extensive enough to create a completely
new tarfile rather than just distributing the changed routines.

The process for installing the Gempak distribution pl12 is:

1: create a clean nawips top level directory. For instance, if
your current distribution is /opt/nawips, then mv this to
/opt/nawips.bak and create a new nawips subdirectory under /opt.

2: place the pl12 tar file in the clean nawips directory and
unpack with:

gunzip -c gempak54upc_pl12.tar.gz | tar xvf -

3: mv the garp directory to garp2.02

4: Now unpack the pl14 tar file from the top nawips directory

gunzip -c gempak5.4_patch14.tar.gz | tar xvf -

note...you can remove the garp2.02 directory and its contents

5) edit the Gemenviron csh variables in the nawips directory and
define NAWIPS and your other data directories. You should be able to
use your old Gemenviron file from the old nawips directory (that
you moved aside). Since you are building under IRIX64, make sure that
your old Gemenviron file had the XCFLAGS with -o32 like the current
one does (I don't recall exactly how long ago that flag was added
to Gemenviron).

6) now just build and install:

source Gemenviron
make all
make install
make clean

The default locations for IRIX compilers etc should be fine...eg you
shouldn't have to modify $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.irix since SGI installs
stuff in standard locations with their swmgr tools.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support