19991115: nawips question

Glenn,

Gempak relies on decoders to store the NOAAport/AFOS/FOS
data streams into gempak data management files. We distribute
NOAAport nwstg data to our university sites for their use with
GEMPAK. The LDM pipes the data to the decoders; however,
the data can be reirected from a file just as well.

Products such as GRIB from either a broadcast stream, or the OSO ftp
server make no difference as to their source. The grib decoder
searches for the GRIB.....7777 bulletins. The metar, upperair, and other
text decoders rely on the FOS style wrappers SOH \r\r\n and \r\r\n ETX
or AFOS ZCZC and NNNN wrappers. Our NOAAport ingest which sends the
nwstg data into the LDM creates the FOS like wrappers around the
products so that our sites didn't need any changes when we shifted
from FOS over to NOAAport for their data feed.

GEMPAK can display the NIDS products (though not the encrypted versions
as are currently being sent across NOAAport). Our sites which
purchase the NIDS data can display it.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support