19991020: gcc and GEMPAK on x86

>From: weather <address@hidden>

>I am planning to put GEMPAK on my computer at home (Solaris x86).
>I glean from the mail archives that it is currently not possible
>(at least not possible for me) to build GEMPAK on Solaris x86
>using gcc and ? f2c, f77..etc.  If I am incorrect what steps
>do I need to take to build it.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

Gempak can be built with gcc and f2c, which is how it is done on Linux.
To build with that configuration on x86, you will need an
$NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.x86 configuration that follows the
Makeinc.linus configuration and defines -DLINUX (which uses the
double underscores for f2c).

We did sucessfully build with gcc and f2c on Solaris x86, but there is
a gcc bug in the math routines in out glibc on Solaris that some
of the grid routines find. I need to retest this with updated gcc
and libraries. I'll send you the configuration for building
when I get into the office tomorrow.

Alternatively, you can use the binary distribution and
simply place the libf77.so and libsunmath.so from the ftp directory
into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Steve Chiswell