19990921: NOAAPORT SBN question on the NWSTG format

>From: Gregory Grosshans <address@hidden>

>--------------5538DF4D0BFAFC24D5433013
>
>Steve,
>
>What is the purpose of prod.info.seqno?  By default in this code its set to 0,
>  but
>a sequence number
>isn't added into the product.  Is this value normally assigned by pulling the
>seqno from the
>actual product?

Greg,

In FOS, every product has a sequence number- and prod.info.seqno
was set to that sequence number. Otherwise, prod.info.seqno is
generally postincremented for each product. When you use ldmadmin watch,
or notifyme, the sequence number for each product is part of the output-
and the existance of the number genererally makes tracking ingestion
and/or decoder problems much easier. For my Noaaport ingest, I set
it to the pdh sequence number. Say, you might have attenuation
at your dish, then by tracking the sequence numbers, you can determine
what products are dropped....or, what product that isn't following
the appropriate protocol is causing the ingestion to fail.

When comparing ingestion on streams at several receivers, having
a common sequence number can make syncing up your product logs
much easier.

>On another note, NAWIPS and Linux.  I've recently started using Linux and just
>built the latest
>version of NAWIPS from the NCEP/CDB on RedHat.  What window managers are peopl
>using so NTL has enough colors?  Most of the Linux window managers (e.g. KDE,
>AfterStep, FVWM95) seem to use too many colors... I've been able to get NTL to
>start when running fvwm2.
>
>In HP-VUE and CDE there is a setting to tell the window manager to make more
>colors
>available for applications.  I'm sure there is something similiar for
>KDE/AfterStep/etc., but I haven't found it.

I've used fvwm2 with sucess also. To get FVWM95 to work, reportedly
you have to shut down the file manager on the desktop which is
eating colors.