19990916: Grid file full message...

>From: David Himes <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>
>We are trying to convert an mm5 output file to gempak.  The convert
>program is called mm52gem and it uses GEMPAK  API's for file output.
>The mm5 output files our huge (650Mb). We're getting a message
>
>   "[GD-11] Grid file is full"
>
>towards the end of the conversion (working on the 48'th hour).  Is
>there a GEMPAK parameter that controls how big a GEMPAK file can be or
>how many grids can be written to it?  I seem to recall something about
>a limit, but on searching the GEMPAK support pages and Peggy's soo/sac
>pages, I am unable to find anything.  I thought perhaps llmxgd looked
>like a possibility, but upon changing that and recompiling everything,
>I get the same problem.
>

>Thanks in advance...
>
>--
>
>Dave

Dave,

LLMXGD is the maximum number of grid points allowed in a single grid and
all your grids should have the same number of points since a grid file
can only contain a single projection. Our default is 100,000 gridpoints.

If you are exceeding the number of grids in a file, then you are
exceeding the number of headers allowed in a file, and you need
to increase MMHDRS. Presumably, your decoder program is creating
the gempak file with that number of headers allowed.

One other caveat, MMHDRS = LLSTFL + LLMXTM for surface/upperair files.
My defaults are 10,000 = 9800 + 200.

Also, if you change gemprm.xxx, you also need to change gemprm.h to match.

Steve CHiswell