19990901: gr_file

>From: "fred j. kopp" <address@hidden>

>Dear unidata:   The gr_file subroutine seems to be gone. it used to open
>grid files for graphics.  I am trying to get an old gemvis package running
>which converts a gempak grid file to vis5d format.  The documentation for
>the gempak programmers guide is obviously out of date.  Can you help?
>Perhaps there is an updated gempak to vis5d conversion somewhere?  What I
>want to do is compute trajectories with a gempak grid file.
>Fred Kopp (address@hidden)

Fred,
Code documentation in the gr_file routine in 5.2.1 mentioned that dg_ofil
was the prefered access routine. Looking at that routine in 5.4 mentioned
that gr_file was changed to dg file.

Here is the relevant information from gempak5.4/src/gemlib/dg/dcfile.f

        SUBROUTINE DG_FILE  ( gdfile, wrtflg, gdcur, igdfln, lasttm,
     +                         maxgrd, iret )

C* S. Jacobs/NCEP        5/96   Renamed from GR_FILE                    *

You will need to update your decoder to use this new name.

Steve Chiswell