19990706: nids area files

>From: Brian Colle <address@hidden>

Brian,

>I finally got the WSI nids datastream coming into our dept. I am decoding
>the data using nids2area, which is creating AREA files. This is good, but
>I have been searching the help pages trying to see of an easy
>and automated way to link the AREA file to a file that Garp can
>understand using times (ie., NIDS_BREF1_990706_1815). For sat. images
>I am using batch.k to move things for Garp to use. Right now I have all
>the WSI nids stuff (obtaining data and nids2area) within my pqact file, so
>this is limiting my flexibility perhaps (at least with my knowledge of
>pqact).
>
>Any suggestions you might would be appreciated.

GEMPAK, GARP, and McIDAS can use the raw NIDS files as they come across the
IDD.  It might be the best idea to NOT convert these files into McIDAS
AREAs.  Instead, simply file them in the directory structure that is
most useful by GARP (for information on that, I recommend that you look
through the GEMPAK web pages that we maintain).

If one of your objectives is to also be able to use McIDAS to look/analyze
the images, then I can advise you (I am the McIDAS support person here at
Unidata) to look into the use of the Unidata NIDS ADDE servers.  The
good thing about ADDE is that conversion of the "raw" NIDS images to
AREA form is implicit.  For instance, if you define the ADDE dataset
NIDS/BREF1 to be the collection of "raw" NIDS images and MYDATA/IMAGES
to be a dataset composed of imagery in McIDAS AREA format, the conversion
is as simple as:

IMGCOPY NIDS/BREF1.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.300 SIZE=ALL

This converts the first member of the NIDS/BREF1 dataset into the 300th
member of the MYDATA/IMAGES dataset.  The conversion is identical to
running nids2area with appropriate output AREA range since the code that
does the conversion is the same in the ADDE server as in nids2area.

In order to give you a better idea of how you should proceed, it would be
most useful for you to give us an idea of the breadth of uses that you
want to put these images to.

>Thanks,

Please let me know the scope of your uses so that I will know if I
have missed the boat on your inquiry.

Dr. Brian Colle         INTERNET: address@hidden
(516)632-3174
Institute for Terrestrial and Planetary Atmospheres
Marine Sciences Research Center
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5000

Tom Yoksas