19990628: reading AFOS BUFR files with dcprof

>From: "Kevin M. Lux" <address@hidden>

>I was able to get a new set of profiler data that had been decoded from BUFR.
>t is text, but it is the odd format that profiler data is recorded in.  Does G
> EM
>PAK use dcprof to interpret the text data?  All of the profiler station report
>are linked together in one long file, too.  I hope I don't have to cut it up i
> nt
>o individual pieces.  Did the file I sent last week look anything like what yo
>usually use?  If I don't have access to the tableB and tableD for the conversi
> on
>, what's my next alternative?
>
>Kevin
>

>----------------------------------
>E-Mail: Kevin M. Lux <address@hidden>
>Date: 28-Jun-99
>Time: 13:56:14
>
>This brain has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.
>----------------------------------

Kevin,
snedit will read input text in the formal that snlist would output.
If Someone has dumped out their gempak format file for you using snlist
then you can read in the data- multiple stations per file are file.

The BUFR file you sent me is not from the HRS broadcast from the IDD, but rather
from the AFOS stream at the NWS that uses a different control character
sequence.
I am working on adapting the dcprof code to read the afos format.
The tableb and tabled files are distributed in my distribution of
Gempak 5.4 in the $GEMTBL/grid/ directory so you should have them.
If not, something with your installation is strange.

Steve Chiswell