19990625: code for GRIB to .gem for GARP use

John,

The thing that comes to mind is that you had GAREA set to the subset
region when you ran nagrib. Try rerunning nagrib with:
cpyfil=gds
garea=dset

The cpyfil=gds uses the grid definition section from the grib
message to define the area of the grid (instead of you having to
specify the GRDAREA, PROJ and KXKY). When you use cpyfil=gds, those
other 3 variables are ignored...but GAREA is still used to subset
the region you want to obtain the gridpoints within.

Running "phelp nagrib" at the GEMPAK-NAGRIB> prompt, will show
the effect of GAREA:
     GAREA is used to subset the grid.  It may be specified as
     any valid input for GAREA which are equivalent to lat/lon bounds
     or as a single @ followed by the lower-left and upper-right grid
     point coordinates separated by semicolons.  In the former case,
     the locations are rounded to the nearest grid points.  The
     projection type and angles entered as described above along with
     the lat/lon coordinates of the corners of the subset define a
     new grid navigation different from that of the full grid.  The
     navigation entered as described in the preceding paragraph is
     always that of the full grid.  To get the full grid, set GAREA to
     blank, GRID or DSET.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support