19990625: code for GRIB to .gem for GARP use

John,

Your environment should be configured so that your csh sources the
$NAWIPS/Gemenviron file. This will add the location of the
nawips executable into your path. You should not need to
run within the $GEMEXE directory...and you may not have write
permission in that directory to create the output file.
If your environment does not find the nagrib program unless you are in the
GEMEXE directory, then it sounds like you have not sourced Gemenviron
into your working environment.

It would be of help to me to see your input commands to nagrib
and if possible, could you ftp sample of your grib file into
~gbuddy/incoming

To make garp see your gempak grid file, the resultant file will need to
be located in the directory pointed to by $HDS, and the
$GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults file will need matching entries for
modellabels and modelkeys (eg strings that will be identify the data set
in the Garp model menu, and corresponding key string to match
when searching the $HDS directory). That is, Garp uses the modelkeys
list to identify files which match the patterns in the comma separated
list, and associates them with the model pull down menu lable which
uses the string in the corresponding entry in modellabels.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support