19990624: Request for info on the ACARS data

>From: Steven Danz <address@hidden>

>Hello
>
>AWC is in the process of getting setup to receive the ACARS
>data from FSL, but there are a few questions.  Bob Lipschutz
>suggested that I send mail to you to determine how to
>proceed.  From what I gather, the data is in netCDF.  The
>problem I have is that AWC is pretty much GEMPAK only
>(the NCEP version, not the UNIDATA one) Do you have a
>method to convert the netCDF to something like a GEMPAK
>ship data file? If not, could I get a copy of the cdl file?  Then
>I could probably write something myself.  Or, is the data
>available in other formats?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steven Danz
>816-584-7257

Steve,

I have 3 programs for the acars data:
dcacars
acprof
nsharp

dcacars is a program I wrote to store the NetCDF data into surface
ship format files.

acprof is a modified version of snprof which can read surface files
and combine reports for a single aircraft (eg area=@FSL00130), or
aircreft within an area (eg area = den++).

Nsharp is of course a program from AWC, however, I modifies it for
acars data as well as lots of bug fixes (aircraft can report at same levels)
and postscript output.

I can package these up for you. What OS are you running? I can either
send you source or binaries. Binaries may be easiest for you to
prevent conflicts with NCEPs version (different number of max stations etc).

Steve Chiswell