19990608: GEMPAK download

Ric

The information you need to download gempak is:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

The source distribution is found under
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl8.tar.gz

The current tar file is patched through patch level 8.
By tomorrow I will be posting pl10 which will include a decoder
for the ACARS data (will be announced as a IDD feed Monday) as
well as NSHARP- an interactive skew-t gui suitable for model, radiosonde
and ACARS plots. I still need to get our HPUX-11 system happy with the tar
file.

To build Gempak from source, download and unpack the distribution into
a clean directory. Edit the csh file Gemenviron in the top directory
and define the NAWIPS environmental variable to be the directory you
unpacked into. Source the Gemenviron variables into your csh
environment to define $NAWIPS and all the tree locations relative to
NAWIPS. Then, if your system is standard configuration for Solaris,
IRIX, OSF/1, AIX, Linux, HPUX- you should be able to just type "make all",
followed by "make install" when the compileation finishes. If you have
libraries in non-standard places, then the $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.xxxxx
file for your OS would have to be modified. You should not modify the
optimization levels since some compilers don't work well with aggressive
optimization.

If you need a binary distribution for Linux (linux requires 3rd party
Motif), you can obtain that from
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_pl10_linux.tar.gz

All users that use Gempak should source Gemenviron into their csh
environment to define the Gempak variables and add the executable
directory into their path. Once the distribution is installed,
you can edit the data directory locations defined in Gemenviron-
but thats not a priority for building.

If you need more information, let me know what platform you will be
using, etc.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport