19990510: gdcross circ function

John,

The OMEG values (V component of circ) will be in mb/sec.

Circ returns a vector whose U component is the tangential
component of V (in your case age()) and the V component is the
vertical motion. The cross sectional representation of the vectors
will be scaled be the aspect ratio of the plot due to the scale
exaggeration between the horizontal and vertical distances on
a plot.

To see what the values of the V component (aka omeg) are,
GFUNC    = vr(circ(age,omeg))
SCALE    =
for todays' eta running CXSTNS   = den>bna,

shows:
 Grid file:                 $HDS/1999051012_eta_grid211.gem
 Date/time:                 f000
 Vertical coordinate:       pres
 Grid function:             vr(circ(age,omeg))
 Vector function:           circ(age,omeg)
 Endpoints:                 den>bna           Number of points:    21
 Scaling factor:        10** 3      Panel:  0

 LEVELS:        -4.00    -2.00     0.00     2.00     4.00
 COLORS:            3        3        3        3        3
 LINTYP:            1        1        1        1        1
 LINWID:            1        1        1        1        1
 LABEL:             1        1        1        1        1

When scale is set to "blank" so the program picks its own, you
see that the omeg values range from -4 x10-3 to 4x10-3 mb/sec
(or roughly -4 to 4 microbars per second).

If you set SCALE=0, you see that the range is -.004 to .004 mb/sec
which is equivalent to the above -4 to 4 microbars.

Since the units aren't actually m/s, it really makes more since to
denote the vector with wind = bn rather than wind=bm.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport