19990426: no obs in gempak surface files 4/26

David,

My files appear fine. Several things to check:

1) make sure you haven't filled up your disk recently

   If you disk fills up, then a zero length output file
   will likely be created, which will not be a valid gempak data
   management file, and no data can be written into it once
   disk space is available.

2) Make sure your table directories are available

   The pqact.conf entry generally uses command line options that point
   to your station and packing tables. If these move, or are not
   readable by the LDM process, you won't get very far.

3) Check the ldmd.log and dchrly and dcuair.log files for clues.

   If your system time is off, or directories are not writable,
   then you should have some messages.

   If your pqact.conf files was edited...and maybe an entry before
   the gempak decoders is messed up, then pqact will usually log
   a message in ldmd.log about the pqact.conf file and line number.

   Also, check tabs in the pqact.conf file if anything has been
   changed recently. You can force a re-read of pqact.conf by issuing
   a kill -HUP to the pqact process. See if rereading the file
   mentions any configuration errors.

4) Make sure the ldm process can execute the binaries

   Ocassionally, especially with Solaris, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH gets
   updated or messed up and one or more of the shareable libraries
   cannot be found. Test this by typing: ldd dchrly and ldd dcupair.

   If any shared libraries cannot be found, ldd will mention it.

5) check the process list for dchrly and dcuair for hung processes,
   or perhaps they are just writing to a different location if
   a symbolic link in a directory has changed etc.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support