19990406: Donwload information for GEMPAK and LDM software

Jimmy and Vilma,

The LDM software which you will run on your Sun sparc workstation can
be downloaded from our anonymous ftp server using your email address as
the password, eg:

Host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: anonymous
password: address@hidden

The LDM source is located in:
/pub/ldm5/ldm.tar.Z

To build the LDM distribution from source code requires your ansi C
compiler. Alternatively, you can download a binary distribution of the
LDM software for the Solaris operating system under:
/pub/binary/sunos_5.6-sparc/ldm.tar.Z

You will need the "Perl" language installed on your Sun Sparc
to invoke the LDM scripts.

The standard location for installing LDM on your system is in
/usr/local/ldm. The LDM directory should be on a local file system.
Installation instructions can be found on our WWW server at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/

To download the GEMPAK software for your Linux PC's, use the following
login information for FTP'ing the distribution:

Host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
password: XXXXXX

You may download the Linux binary distribution from the above account under:
/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_pl8_linux.tar.gz

The gzipped tarfile for GEMPAK is 62MB. If you cannot succesfully transfer
a file of this size across your network, then please let me know, and I
will create smaller split files for downloading.

Download the GEMPAK tarfile into a clean directory, such as /home/gempak.
Unpack the tarfile with:
gunzip -c gempak5.4_pl8_linux.tar.gz | tar xvf -

After unpacking the distribution sucessfully, you can delete the tar file
to save space. In the top gempak directory, you will find a csh script
entitled: Gemenviron. You will need to edit the Gemenviron file to define
the NAWIPS environmental variable which is the root directory location
you unpacked the distribution into. Later, you can define the location
of your data directories once you have your data setup configured.

To run gempak on your Linux PC, you should source the Gemenviron file
in your csh environment (eg "source Gemenviron") to configure the
environmental variables for any user that will use the package.
Sourcing the Gemenviron script will also add the GEMEXE directory
with the GEMPAK executables to your PATH.
NOTE: GEMPAK requires that the default X11 visual of your disply be 8 bits.

We will help you configure your system to store data from the LDM into GEMPAK
and/or McIDAS files for use with each package.

Please let us know if you have trouble downloading the software prior
to Dave Fulker's visit!

Steve Chiswell