19990331: Gempak

>From: Bryan Rockwood <address@hidden>

>Hello Unidata,
>
>This is Bryan Rockwood from Creighton University once again and I have
>been asked to email you guys to get the login information for the Gempak
>software package.  There has been some interest as of recent in it and we
>would like to give it a try.  Thanks.
>
>Bryan R.

Brian,

The login information you request is:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
password: XXXXXX

The most recent distribution tarfile is:
nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl8.tar.gz\

Binary distribution tarfiles are located in nawips-5.4/binary/linux
and nawips-5.4/binary/solaris_X86 for those platforms since
many sites do not have the required compilers for those operating systems.

To build the distribution, you will need to download the tarfile into
a clean subdirectory and unpack with:
gunzip -c gempak54upc_pl8.tar.gz | tar xvf -

After unpacking, edit the Gemenviron file in the top level directory
and define the NAWIPS variable to point to the TOP directory you
just unpacked into. Other variable for data location can be defined
later, but NAWIPS must be defined before building.

After editing Gemenviron, source the file in you csh environ: eg
source Gemenviron

Depending on what platform you are building on, make sure your C and Fortran
compilers are in your appropriate path, as well as the "make" program.
Locations for X and Motif are defined in the appropriate platform
configuration files in $NAWIPS/config. You should not need to change
any configurations in those files as long as things are located in the
standard loactions. If you have non-standard installations of compilers,
and libraries, let us know.

You should be able to build  and install the distribution with:
cd $NAWIPS
make all
make install
make clean

All user accounts which use GEMPAK should source the Gemenviron file in their
csh environment. Additional information on decoder entries for LDM and
program information can be found in the GEMPAK tutorial.

Steve Chiswell